For a major plant engineering company, Eckelmann has implemented the full automation of a coil conveyor, from the coiler area to the material warehouse.
Fully automated coil conveyor for steel works
The system is precisely tailored to the customer’s needs and automates the removal of coils from 3 coiler stations to the discharge areas. The facility, which is about 500 m long, comprises transport trolleys, chain conveyor, lifting beams, lifting turntables, tilting tables and an inspection line.
The integrated and intelligent automation implemented by Eckelmann accelerates the removal of the coils. Productivity of the plant was thus enhanced sustainably.
Requirements analysis and engineering
Engineering was carried out on the basis of a meticulous requirements analysis. Functionality, operating concept and visualisation were developed in close cooperation with the customer and laid down in the specifications. In this, a production-optimised safety concept in accordance with the machine directive and the risk analysis were prepared.
The coil conveyor is operated and monitored via the control station or on-site control desks. Logical membrane keyboards and the visualisation of the plant facilitate the quick operation and monitoring of processes by the operator.
The scope of Eckelmann’s full service package includes the preparation of functional specifications, engineering (hardware and software), switch cabinet construction, software programming and commissioning. Thus, all of Eckelmann’s core competencies were used. Friction losses, such as happen where several supplier need to interact, did not occur.
The automation project comprised:
- All hydraulic transport systems
- All motor-driven transport systems
- Inspection line to automatic coil inspection with and without cuts
- Coil tracking which automatically generates transport orders (incl. transport strategy simulation) from several transport strategies
- Connection of external systems (marking machine, weighing machine, etc.)
- Connection of higher-level systems such as production planning (PPS) and quality data logging
- Hydraulic system
- All safety functions (access to danger areas, hydraulic shut-off blocks, drives)
- Low-voltage main supplies